Pramod Sawant Is Goa’s New Chief Minister
- Subsequent to the demise of Sri.Manohar Parikkar, Pramod Sawant has been selected as the new Chief Minister of Goa.
- Born in 1973, he is an Ayurveda practioner.
- Even though he is less known in political circles, he was selected as the CM since he is close to the RSS leadership.
- Sawant was elected to the Goa state assembly during 2012 and 2017.
- He served as the speaker of the Goa assembly from 2017.
- Apart from his Ayurveda degree, he also holds a master’s degree in social welfare.
Afghanistan Registers Its First-Ever Win in Test Cricket
- Afghanistan registers it’s first ever test win.
- After attaining test status in 2017, Afghanistan registered its maiden win against Ireland.
- The test match was played at Rajiv Gandhi Stadium, Dehradun.
- Captain of Afghanistan cricket team is Asghar Afghan.
- The team also holds the world record for the highest ever T20 total of 278-3 against the same team at Dehradun, which they scored on 23rd February 2019.
- The country’s cricket board was formed in 1995 and became an affiliate member of the International Cricket Council (ICC) in 2001.
- According to the ICC Future Tours Programme for 2019–23, Afghanistan are scheduled to play thirteen Tests.
Cyclone IDAI Massacres South African Countries
- A vicious cyclone IDAI ripped through Zimbabwe, Mozambique and Malawi, killing nearly an estimated 1000 people.
- Apart from this The United Nations has declared that more than 100 people are missing.
- Floods from the rivers Pungue and Buzi have entered thousands of villages leaving them marooned.
- The cyclone made a landfall in Mozambique and moved to the neighbouring Zimbabwe playing havoc there also.
- Cyclone Idai originated from an elongated circulation that the Met office started monitoring it from March 01st. At that time, it was located in Mozambique Channel.
Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Announces That SBI, ICICI and HDFC Remain Systemically Important Banks.
- RBI recently announced that State Bank of India, ICICI and HDFC banks will remain Systematically Domestically Important Banks.
- Banks for which their total assets exceed 2% of the Country’s GDP are considered part of this group.
- The reason for categorizing banks under this category is that, should such banks fail, there would be significant disruption of essential services they provide to the Banking system and the country’s overall economy.
- D-SIBs are required to maintain higher capital as compared to other banks.
- HDFC Bank finds a place in the top 50 Banks around the world, whereas SBI finds a place in the top 100 banks.
- SBI and ICICI are India’s largest Public Sector and Private Sector Banks respectively.
Cardless ATM Withdrawal Launched By State Bank of India (SBI)
- The facility launched by SBI is known as YONO Cash.
- It operates on a 6-digit YONO PIN which is received through SMS.
- The Yono App is to be installed in your mobile phone.
- The cash withdrawal is to be completed within 30 minutes of receiving the PIN.
- This facility minimizes the risk factor involved against Cybercrimes using Debit Cards.
- Presently SBI offers this facility across 16500 ATMs and it is being planned to expand to 60000 ATMs shortly.
- SBI is the largest Bank in India, with 23% market share in assets and has one-fourth of total loan and deposits of the total banking sector.
Amitabh Kant, NITI Aayog CEO to head National Mission on Transformative Mobility and Battery Storage
- NITI Aayog CEO Amitabh Kant will be heading the National Mission on Transformative Mobility and Battery Storage which is being set up shortly.
- The aim of this mission is to promote clean and sustainable mobility initiatives in the country.
- Earlier, setting up of the mission was approved by the Union Cabinet.
- The panel will also suggest coverage pointers and authorities, interventions and potential methods for holistic, sustainable and transformative mobility and vitality storage in India.
- A NITI Aayog notification has confirmed that the other members of the panel include the Secretaries of Ministry of Road Transport and Highways, Ministry of Power, Department of Heavy Industry, Department of Science and Technology, Department of Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade and Director, General Bureau of Industrial Standards.
- A steering committee has been formed for this purpose and the terms of reference of the mission includes implementation and compliance of the committee’s decision.
- Amitabh Kant currently heads the NITI Aayog and belongs to 1980 IAS batch.
- He played a key role in “Make in India” and “Startup India”.