How to become a full stack developer?
A full stack web developer is a programmer with competency in both front-end and back-end technologies. In this write-up we are going to reveal 17 steps that will act as a guide to your question “How to become a full stack developer”. Front-end is the part which is seen and used by the user. The back-end involves the processes, databases and other processes like user validation, that are required to run and process the instructions from the user.
Becoming a Full-stack developer looks like a daunting task as one needs to specialise in more than one language. A true full stack developer is a Unicorn. That is why many full-stack development tools are available to make it easier. One cannot be perfect with all the languages used on both the server side as well as the client side with equal competency.
So while it’s alright to set the bar high, don’t be disappointed if you don’t have expertise in all the different languages that a programmer can/may use. Use the 17 step road map to full stack web development to plan out your learning.road map to full stack web development to plan out your learning.
So without further adieu here are the 17 steps that will answer your question on how to become a full stack developer.
#1: Learn front end technologies
If you ask how to become a full stack developer, then our recommended first step is to learn how to combine design and functionality so that users will find it both easy and super efficient while interacting or using your web application. Front end is the most important full stack developer skills 2020. Some of the technologies you need to learn include
- HTML- Hyper Text Markup Language is the building block of HTML pages. This is the language used for Web Pages.
- CSS – Cascading style sheet is used to describe the display of HTML elements. This can be stored as an external file and used as and when required. Multiple style sheets can be used on one page.
#2: Learn back end technologies / Database/ Frameworks/ Devops/ Mobile application development
According to us, if you want to become a full stack developer in India, the second most important step we recommend for you is to learn and master back end technologies. You need to learn these server sides of web applications including logic, APIs and integrations etc. Some of the back end technologies you need to master include
- Python- A programming language which is very accessible. It has one of the biggest ecosystems, has open source software, and heavy community involvement across various levels.
- NodeJS-This is an open source server environment. It is platform independent and can run on various platforms like Windows, Linux, Unix, Mac OS X and others.
- PHP-Hyper Text Processor is an open source server scripting language. It is powerful and at the same time easy to learn. Popular programs like Facebook and WordPress use PHP.
- MySQL-It is an RDBMS. It is known for being simple to use, flexibility, and fast processing.
- SQLite- This is an RDBMS in a C library. This is NOT a client-server database. It has a high-reliability, fast SQL database engine and is the most widely used database.
- Postgres-A free open source RDBMS designed to handle a wide range of workload with many concurrent users. It emphasizes on Extensibility and standard compliance.
- MongoDB- It is NoSQL DB. It is a cross-platform document-oriented database program. Its prominent user includes Uber, IBM and Cisco.
- AWS- Amazon web services is a cloud services platform. It is secure and increases the ability to deliver applications and services at a very high speed. They are faster than companies using traditional software development.
Mobile App Dev
- iOS/Android- Apps that are developed using the native language of the platform. The official language used on Android is Java. Swift is now considered native for iOS.
Additional skills to learn
Data structure and algorithms
#3, Learn at least basics of design
Even though most of the job description for full stack developers does not insist on design skills, we believe the basics of design like prototyping, knowledge in UI and UX is required for a good full stack developer. That’s why we have listed this as the third most important step in this blog on how to become a full stack developer in 2020.
#4. Specialise with T shaped programming approach
Assess your interest and choose one language to specialise in. Be an expert in that language and an intermediate user for a few others. Trying to master everything is just not the way to go! If you are confused, pick one out of the above list and just go for it!
#5. Choose your learning path for full stack development
According to your interest in programming languages you can customise this article and devise your own steps that will help you answer questions like how to become a full stack developer in python or how to become a full stack developer in java or how to become a full stack developer from scratch with no experience in 3 months.
#6. Get mentored directly by industry experts
Full stack developer skills 2020 are not what it used to be in 2019 or before that. Even though there are plenty of full stack developer tutorials available for free, they are not enough. With industry expectations becoming more and more it is important for you to be trained by experts. Keeping this in mind Crampete launched 100+ learning centres across India, (check timesofindia coverage here). Get trained from industry experts in Chennai here. (link).
#7. Online courses and boot camps
You can also attend a number of industry relevant boot camps and online courses conducted regularly by Crampete. You can enroll for our self paced online course here.
#8. Take up internship and get some industry exposure
Apply for internships or remote jobs to solidify the experience.
#9. Build portfolio
Build an effective portfolio that demonstrates your practical knowledge. This portfolio will help you build basic pages and assess your own performance apart from using this as a showcase while hunting for jobs. Keep developing until you are confident.
#10. Prepare with interview questions
Compile a list of interview questions for each topic and subtopics. Segregate them according to level of difficulty and start preparing answers for them. This will be really helpful when you hunt for a full stack developer job.
#11. Attend mock interviews
Attend at least 3 mock interviews before uploading your CV in job portals. This will help you assess your own skills and you will know how much you are prepared to face interviews. You can take the help of your developer friends to conduct such mock interview sessions.
#12. Practice all technologies
Practice, practice and practise. A good full stack developer should be comfortable working both the front-end and back-end coding. Practice until you are reasonably confident of cracking the interview and confident of your coding skills.
#.13. Find suitable jobs
Here comes the most important answer for your question: how to become a full stack developer.. Find and apply only the suitable full stack developer jobs. Never apply only for the sake of full stack developer salary. He job profile must be satisfying for you and it must provide plenty of learning and growth opportunities
#14.Prepare nice CV
Full stack developer CV or Full stack developer resume is a very important step in job hunting. It will help you get eyeballs of potential employers and it will help you get shortlisted as well. One pro tip: Never-ever, ever-ever copy CV from other people.
#15. Attend interviews
Never panic if you don’t get through a few interviews. It happens for everyone. This is especially true if you are a fresher or if you start from scratch after a career gab. Patience is the key here.
#16. Join full stack Social media groups
Network with your peers and stay updated on all this related to your field. Joining a community of stack developers will help in addition to the other social media channels.
#17. Follow Full stack developers
Following various threads related to full stack development on platforms like Reddit will help you stay focused and connected in your web development career. For example, you choose topics like how to become a full stack developer reddit and follow that thread to receive relevant information from experts.
What is a stack?
A stack is a collection of modules which are taken together to get a completed product. There are three layers or modules in every web development process.
Presentation layer: Navigation of the pages, changing the look of a website, setting fonts and colours, and user interaction like reading, viewing images or videos are achieved with the help of the presentation layer which is the front-end aspect of the stack.
Logic layer: The logic layer is the interface between the presentation layer and the database. This layer is where the data or the user input is manipulated using algorithms and business logic. It is also responsible for the data to be stored in a database.
Database layer: This is where the data is stored. This layer includes Cache. The type of stack selected depends upon the database which is being used. The other components of the stack will be the ones most compatible with the selected database.
The codes written in multiple languages for these different layers all run concurrently making the website work. Learn Full stack web development via online courses and obtain certification on Full stack web development.
Types of Stacks
Web stacks are less transient than frameworks and libraries. Despite that, there are a lot of stacks, trendy ones, created by startups that are available in the market. Some of these have also proved to be reliable and consistent in terms of performance. Many companies also create their own stacks based on their specific requirement deprioritizing compatibility.
Uses Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP. One of the oldest stacks in existence and is still being widely used. It is open source and easily customisation. The issue faced by the LAMP stack user is that it is difficult to learn and requires expertise in Linux and Apache. There are inconsistencies and compatibility issues.
Responsibilities of a full stack developer
- Participate in product development until the product is deployed.
- Work on the product features and fix bugs.
- Improve performance.
- Develop reusable codes and share them for future use.
- Work with the team to optimize the existing system
- Maintain websites.
- Troubleshoot UI.
Are Full stack developers in demand? Is it a good choice for a career?
Full stack developers are very much in demand in today’s job scene. Companies like the idea of a full stack developer as they go beyond development to include optimisation and maintenance of the system. Full stack developers bring to the table versatility and are by default goal oriented and are budget friendly to the company. So, yes. Full Stack developer is very much in demand and is a great choice for a great career.
How attractive is the salary?
This job is as attractive as any other. Being an in-demand job, the pay is definitely competitive. Remuneration packages for a position also depend on the company, the employee’s educational background, skills, and experience.
The national average for a full stack developer in India is Rs.514,198 per year. According to Glassdoor, it can be as low as Rs.3,10,000 per year and as high as Rs.10,14,000 per year.
Full Stack Developer is required to learn a lot across disciplines.
- Full stack developer is an expert in one layer of the stack and an adept in others.
- Knowledge of design, data structures, algorithms and Git are good value addition.
- Full stack developers are expected to maintain, troubleshoot, and optimise the system.
- The most commonly used and popular stacks are LAMP, MEAN and MERN.
- Companies can create their own stacks as per their requirements.
- Full stack developer is an in-demand job.
- The pay is high and competitive.